Fishing the open sea has been an activity that has stood the test of time. Be if for recreation or self survival, there are some tips you can consider that will help in sea fishing.
1. Fish are attracted to visible things; try using lures that are bright and shiny. Also after use, never forget to wash your lure down and dry them off to prevent them rusting.
2. If you refrain from using a wire leader, you will get more strikes. Instead, try using monofilament of at around 50 pound breaking strain.
3. When using a lure, attach it using a loop knot as this will make it perform correctly and get the best action from it.
4. If the water is rough, use a floating lure as fish will see them better on the surface.
5. Consider using a circle hook when possible because they set the hook in the mouth of the fish better than conventional J shaped hooks.
6. If you are using worms as live bait, wrap them up in newspaper rather than keeping them in an ice cooler. This will keep them fresher and more active for longer.
7. Cold water is critical in keeping fish live bait. A good flow of fresh cool water into the storage container will provide oxygen, keeping the fish in good condition.
8. Use a connector knot to connect a heavy line to a light line as this will help the line pass through the eyes of the fishing rod better.
9. Do not try and set the hook as soon as you see a bite as often you will strike too soon. Wait for the fish to fully take the bait first.
10. Always wet your hands before handling a fish you plan on releasing as this is more comfortable for them.
11. If the fish is exhausted from the fight, when releasing it, hold it for a while with its head facing the incoming current. This helps to pass oxygen through, aiding in a quicker recovery.
12. Every so often, soak your reel and line in fresh water to remove any excess salt.
13. Always cut away any line that feels rough as it may break easier under pressure. Your line is only as strong as its weakest point.
14. Fresh bait will always work better than frozen bait.
15. When using lures, always try to mimic as best as you can, the action of the prey the fish would naturally eat.
The above tips will go a long way in improving your chances of catching something. The fishing tackle you use does also become an influencing factor on what you will catch, but that is dependent on the fish you want to target. Emtec has some useful information on different kinds of fishing rods and tackle that may also help you.